Sunday, March 30, 2008

Random Cliches

It is the last day of March(almost) and for the first time I can sense a distinct spring in the air. It is oh so cool, this morning breeze, so refreshing and subtle(sure is a break from the untimely,ruthless Indian summer).I bunked my morning routine and spent some extra hours under my blanket(yup,I actually needed a blanket).The early morning sun rays are so golden, it seems almost magical.And I take my own sweet time to linger on the terrace and drink in this sweet exotica. The trees are swaying and I can hear the birds all clamouring in raptures.Everything is in motion...This is life I say.But, at that precise moment I hear a most hideous rattling and drilling noise.The area around my place is under construction and everyday for at least ten hours we are subjected to this pandemonium of drills and trucks and loading and unloading...thrash...crash...and so much more.

When was the last time I had relished a day without frowning and muttering curses under my breath at the most shameless breach of my privacy?I cannot remember.There is no rest and no peace and consequently a lot of bad mood when the blast next door is hammering incessantly(as it does everyday).You cannot read a book peacefully, or watch T.V, or even talk like sane people.Simplest joys are so rare.

Yesterday was Earth Day and the one hour global switch off.But, where I stay blackouts are an everyday affair.As summers come lashing out, power cuts become more and more frequent.I wasn't even allowed the satisfaction of being a part of the Day.Lite itti baar aati jaaati rahi ki there I was in no mood to add any more to it.

Some days back I learnt that the thickest, oldest and toughest sea ice around the North Pole is melting,which is a bad sign for the future of the Arctic ice cap(courtesy, NASA satellite data).Also,Some 2.5 million sq km of perennial ice have been lost -- about one and a half times the area of Alaska -- a 50 percent decrease between February 2007 and February 2008.Almost 75% of it lost.The offender is of course human induced climate change.This is horrifying because this ice cap is known to be as tough as nails...so hard and concrete and of course old.If this is melting then we can estimate the extent of damage done.More is on its way.Looking down south the Antarctica is not far in the score.Recently a US satellite noticed the 400 square KM Wilkins ice shelf collapsing.

Now a days the issue of global warming is being used ad nauseam and has acquired the cliched proportion of World Peace.But, all of it is being lost on the majority. Actually, unless something is thrust under our noses we fail to see it. An average citizen does not give a damn to what ice caps are and why they are such a big deal.I remember when I was in my college hostel(a government establishment) the fans and lights were working round the clock whether there was anyone in the rooms or not.Since there was no hassles with electricity bills energy was used and mostly abused.Sometimes the taps could be heard running wild early in the morning with no one using them.I confess I too was lazy enough not to mind the taps.But, the point is we do not care for what is staring in our faces... unless it is in the form of a Doomsday series of National Geographic or An Inconvenient Truth.Even then we push it at the back of our heads as just a happening bit of info...and make way for the more immediate concerns of life. C’mon now people, life is a concern in itself.We can fight among ourselves for stupid and not-so-stupid things...but once home is lost there would be nothing more to fight for.

For once think of those days of careless childhood...of that life...the rains...the winds...and the sun.It is worth fighting for.Only this time the adversary is within us.Check on the energy consumption and take care not to waste more than you use.And for heavens!!don't tell yourself that I-don't-care crap.

P.S#1:Enuf moralising...but seriously this is important.Give it more than just a thought!!

P.S#2:Since I sat down to write this...the day changed to cloudy...it rained for a few seconds...and now it is sunny again :) :)

2 comments:

nn said...

Good one...
At last I saw a blog/mention about 'Global Warming' from a person in India!!! Its in news all over the world but in India... I never saw anything in news about it...Was getting to know which celeb is catching cold, why big B is wearing so many rings, not nothing on Global Warming...

I am with you Maria... I support this cause...

fursat said...

Ah...those were the days. Love the lazily written first first few lines of the post, took me back in time. But alas, the story ended with another kind of pollution.

I remember how annoying it was at times to listen to those bhashans during the election times when you would try to study or try to get a peace of mind.

As far as global warming is concerned, I think Western countries should take more responsibilities because they are responsible for most pollution in the world today. The offices here don't switch off lights, people drive SUVs that burn oil like anything and every house has either an AC or is centrally heated. Although, this doesn't mean that countries like India can pollute as much because even though pollution in developing countries affect the whole world, it most affects its own people first.

We all should try to use green technologies as much as we all can afford. All the little bits we can do will go a long way in saving this earth for future generations.