Thursday, May 15, 2008

Stories of Ozmania 3

-You took long to open

-I take my time. You know that.

-Hmmm…

-Stuck somewhere?

-Yeah, some soup.

-Chicken soup with sweet baby corns?

-No. I wish it were so. No. Tomato, thick and gooey.

-I like that. And how was laundry today?

-Not of much use. I am quite undone.

-I wish I could help.

-You can’t do me.

-I know.

-I got something though. My lost treasure.

-You found it?

-Yes. I did.

-What about the dinner. I got the grocery.

-Did you? Good.

-Got some of the books I ordered. Wait, I’ll show you.

-No thanks. I will tend to my treasure.

-Yeah, right. You do that..

::In whispers::

-so when does it begin?

-it has already begun. long since.

-hmmm. Alright. Continue.

-Hmmm…

::Loudly::

-You know when I was little, I had them all.

-I know.

-You do?

-You have told me that a dozen times.

-Oh.

-But, then, you have told me other things a dozen times too.

-Right.

-Can we drop it?

-Yes, we can.

-Can we make love now?

-If you want to.

-No I don’t. But let’s.

-Is it on page 12?

-Naah, I think last part of 11.

-Oh, I am giddy.

-Is that related?

-I am asking you, is it?

-Nothing makes me think so.

-Nothing has ever made you think.

-Can we cut it out?

-(Silence)

-You don’t love me. I know that.

-I know you know.

-And?

-Page 11? last part.

-Why do you keep standing? Come on in. Isn’t it chilly outside?

(After an hour, whispering inside the sheets)

-Can she still hear us?

-Couldn’t tell you.

-How much longer do I have to take it?

-We. We have to take it.

-But, when will I be free? I hate this glass house.

-In some time. When she is done with this portion.

-And when does the portion end?

-In some time. Where are we?

-15 I think.

-Ok. It will get over in a few minutes. We end on the 16th.

-Do I continue with it?

-What else, do you have a way out?

-No. I’ll move now.

-Hmm. Go.

I walk away from the old bed, and from the other. There are things waiting. More important things.

I wait for the steps to die. I wait to find myself back. I get back to the book. The white page lies waiting for me. Funny. It makes me glad, one spotless,white paper.

(the last sounds are of a typewriter and of regular thuds on the chopping board)

-By the way honey, can I get a pair of red stilettos ?

**End of Page 16**

-Phew!! Can I go now?

-Me too?

“Mortal as you are, don’t ask, don’t argue, don’t shake that head of yours, don’t think, just close those eyes, and blabber out. Didn’t they tell you so? High time, wake up. (chuckling softly) Life’s such sonny.”


*****************************

(not to be continued)

7 comments:

sid said...

why not to be continued re???....I understand it takes its toll to come up with such imagination..but just the way this piece has been linked thru the gaps seems incredible!!...the cntext seems a bit abstract as the reader as its open to interpretation-but I loved it!..

Mavron said...

@ Sid

it does take a toll...i am halfway thr n half way here...makes me mad. i want to get rid of it.so, never going to Oz again.

Beauty and the BEast said...

I like the conversation, in whispers and otherwise, I like the sense and futility underlining it...

Brillianrt

kyamaloom said...

Fuck Woah!
Classy work girl.

Crimson Feet said...

i am trying to understand a few things here... i could be wrong but... are these characters in the book? living a life of their own when the reader is not around?

its brilliantly crafted... surreal!

Anonymous said...

sahil chopra: i wanna make love too...can i have that book?
maria bilkis: which one?
sahil chopra: ozmania
maria bilkis: well dats my book
sahil chopra: so?
sahil chopra: thats why am askin u
maria bilkis: I'll have to think
maria bilkis: Precious na
sahil chopra: this will decide my worth

Adarsha said...

This one beats me... he he... cant understand much... probably the picture i had built of the story is falling apart...