Tuesday, June 10, 2008

THE S'TRIP

In darkness two figures are seated facing each other on chairs. Their hands are tied in the back. One looks up and one down. Only their silhouettes appear.

Characters:
A(in italics)
B(straight)
Angry(as Ang)
Lost(as L)
Vacant
Clytemnestra
Agnes Green.
1
2
3



Announcement: Agnes Green. From Yale. Contracted two years back. Black. Adult. 167 lbs. suffered from acute thrombosis. Executed.
....................................................................................................................................
(lights on to show
the two seated)

You still there?

No.

What?

I am not there.

But, you are.

So why ask?

I am outta work.

I am outta breath.

Hmm. Does that count?

I can’t count.

Why?

You know.

I know.

You do?

Do I?

I can’t think.

Why?

I can’t think.

Why?

I can’t think why I can’t think.

Are you well? You almost made sense.

No.

This is a fine mess.

Right.

Let’s figure.

Go figure.

But, we are on leave.

Won’t be long.

I need my bonus.

Hmm.

Doesn’t matter, right?

No. doesn’t.

Then what does?

Shatter the matter for once, will you?

So you dance away with the manner?

Ha ha ha…that was some fun I had.

I saw you.

Who didn’t?

And I thought you were all for the cause.

Really?

I thought you were the cause, the cause that really mattered.

No. you are it. You are the cause.( And again leave poor matter out.)

Am I ? really? I can’t believe it. I can’t.

Now stuff it.

But, this is great, don’t you think?

I can’t.

(in a vague singsong)I am the cause, I am the cause. Yes, I am.

Enter- Angry and Lost (both cross armed)

Oh you didn’t tell me about guests?

What guests?

Hey buster, who d you think you are?

Ang: I am angry.

I dint ask about health.

What do you need?

Ang:I am looking for the cause.

Really?

Why?

Ang:I want to know why I am what I am.

(casually)And you would be…..?

Ang:(violently)Angry.(shaking) I said I am angry.

Yes.

And who have you got along?

Ang: None. Are you cause?

He is all manners

( looking at Lost)

Hey, why do you hide away?

L: I am lost.

No you are found.

L: But, I am lost. I can’t get out of it.

Which is your way?

L: No way.

Oh, now I was looking for it myself the other day.

L: But nobody has found it.

Found what?

L: No way.

L: He took it and they tell me he went far.

So far so good.

L: What is?

Nothing is.

L: But I am lost.

No you are found.

Ang: Will ya cut the crap. Where is the cause?

(enter Vacant unnoticed by others, he roams around vaguely)

Here is the cause.

Ang: You, are you?

Yes, no and maybe.

Ang: Tell me yes.

No.

Will you?

Maybe.

Ang: Then do.

Yes.

Ang: (grinding his teeth)Finally.

Let’s stick to initially.

Ang: What initially?

Who are you, apart from angry?

Ang: Nothing. Too much of poteen and proverb.

That’s rough.

Plain Irish.

My sympathies.

L: Hey what about me? I am lost.

(under his breath) buying time.

Ang: I have had enough.

What do you want?

Ang:I want the cause.

For what?

Ang: To kill him.

(distracted)Hey you…hey I am talking to you. who is this?

Ang:Broccoli. Wilted Broccoli.

Then I hate him already. gerroff !!

L: Agnes Green prolly.

He is Vacant.(pause) yes, that’s the name.

Hey listen Vacant, sit down somewhere, will you.

(keeps wandering all over)

Strange. Is he on drugs?

I am. He is not.

Oh, now it’s clear. No wonder you made sense more than once.

Yes. Yes.

Enter Clytemnestra

C: (shouting) can you? Can you? Can you? Oh tell me.

Ang: Now who is she?

C: Looking for Messi Mi McAka.

We don’t cover it.

C: But, I was told to check. They told me I will surely find them.

L: Who?

C: Messi Mi McAka(looking around) hey you sonsovabitch come out now!

Ang: Can’t you shut your stinking guts lady?

C:(takes out body spray and sprays for a long time) fine now? You run around, bath in your own salts and get what???

I don’t know.

C: Right.

Can we help?

(surprised)You want to?

C: No, I must find them on my own. Is this 66?

Yes.

C: So they must be here.

Announcement: That’s the next shift Clit. Come an hour later. Now clear off.

C: But, it is time.(sighs) oh ok. I will wait. But, I can’t go back. I signed out for three.

Why don’t you go sit with Vacant?

L: Where are you headed?

C: Oh nowhere.

L: Really? I was hoping someone would give me directions. I’m lost you see.

(C goes there and sits with Vacant, tried to catch his interest)

Ang: You ready?

For?

Ang:I am going to kill you.

You cannot.

Ang:Oh really?

He’s right. Quite a hardy. We actually arranged for men to do that.

Strike three.

Ang:Then it is all wrong. I was told to kill.

C: Isn’t there a laugh?(everyone looks at her except Angry)

V: (shakes his head)

C: well, someone needs to script it then.

C: are you Agnes Green?

V: (shrugs)

(coming back to the discussion)

Who told you?

Ang:She did.

She is mistaken.

L: Hey she gave me the directions. Now we can go.

You found it? Lovely.

Ang: What’s this?

A little help here.

L: Sure. I do weights. You see.(undoes the knot)

Strong girl.

Where are you going?

Nowhere.

Good.

Ang: We all must go there one day.

I worked hard for it.

Plain lucky.

C: none of you actually make any sense.

You are the late entrant. So sit quietly and mark your ground.

Whatever.

Yes.

Now then, I will take leave.

Same here.

Alone?

No Vacant is with me.

Sounds good. Suits you.

(All four Leave)

C: Where did they go?

Ang: Lost-Cause went Nowhere.

Ang: Vacant-Manners went Somewhere.

C: And why are you here?

Ang: I am waiting.

C: For?

Ang: The cause.

C: But he just went, right?

Ang: No, he is still to arrive.

C: No one wants a lost cause, do they?

Ang: No they don’t.

Ang: How long are you here?

C: For some time.

Ang: (simplistically) catch a beer?

C: I thought you were Angry?

Ang: Yes. I am.

C: Let’s go.


1:Agnes Green..? where is Agnes Green? Did you look at 66 carefully?

2:Yes. He is not to be found.

3:He is executed.

2:Oh, yes now I remember.

1:Put it on records, you idiot. You’ll mess it all up.

3 comments:

Khamakha said...

gurl, i ll go mad. Serious!!!

kyamaloom said...

Emotions conversations?
Woaahh!! Perfectly witty and utterly thought provoking!
Mahn!! This might seem bit disillusioned to some but its one strong piece of profound and kickass articulate write up I've read in recent times! I was soo bloody engrossed in their convo all through out, and thats something very rare.
I can really imagine how many rape sessions it musta taken inside your mind to churn this out!

Bravo girl! Brilliant work. Kudos to your imaginations. Really!! I'm highly impressed!

Take a bow!

Beauty and the BEast said...

The entire drama unfolded so precisely with every word. I am awed!

You really are creative!